In 1970, Environmental Psychology was founded on three central ideas at the start of the 1970s.
1) The incorporation of the physical environment into psychology.
2) The adoption of field research that would operate outside of the laboratory, the received mode in psychology, where variables can be controlled and manipulated, to embrace the messy world of the everyday complex variables of people-environment relationships
3) Takes various perspectives for understanding the interactions of people and place, while embracing the policy and design disciplines that shape our environments.
3,000-6,000 years ago, Feng Shui was founded in the mountain regions of China based on the principles of Taoism
Practitioners read the land formations locating the most ideal locations to building homes near fertile lands and be protected from threatening natural elements.The practice was more readily utilized in those years to place temples and burial plots.
The responsibility of a consultant is to guide people on how to follow a healthier lifestyle that enhances their mental, emotionally, spiritual, and physical well-being through the observation of their environments that surround them. Modern day Feng Shui has fused the traditional principles with that of interior design and architectural planning.
Both of these practices are the same yet Feng Shui has subtle differences
1) It's important to blend intellectual with emotional maturity. This is key for growth in any person and community and also allows greater variation with daily and worldly problem solving.
2) Feng Shui does not manipulate a person environment. It creates harmony with Geomancy, Emotional Intelligence, and Alchemy to improve current and future developments of a person's life through the establishment of an home or work atmosphere that is specific to their energy levels or supports and public spaces.
Laura Cerrano is a second-generation Certified New York City Feng Shui Consultant Expert. As a full-time Feng Shui consultant, Laura provides bicoastal consultations and workshops for residential, commercial, real estate developments, Fortune 500 companies and healing faculties. In addition, Laura is a resident teacher at the Metropolitan Institute of Design in Syosset, NY. She has been featured in highly respected publications and TV networks such as Bravo's "Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen," PBS, CBC Television, BBC Radio and The New York Times.