Have you heard of American author, Stephen King? He has written more than fifty books within the genre of horror, supernatural fiction, suspense, science fiction, and fantasy. And all of his books are worldwide bestsellers. So, how does Mr. King get into the FLOW of writing and stay there?
From an Ecological Feng Shui perspective he INTENTIONALLY establishes an ENVIRONMENT that works best for him. All the details are there, right down to the placement of his desk, the amount of light he allows into his writing room, to the type of music played that helps maintain his focus (AC/DC and Metallica). As said in the practice of Feng Shui, Ecological Psychology “suggests that the objects your are surrounded by are not static; rather, they influence and invite specific behaviors. Experiments show that the mere SIGHT of an object elicits brain activity associated with particular ACTIONS.” [peak performance, pg 132]
Paralleling Ecological Psychology and Feng Shui, the more SPECIFIC your INTENTIONS are, the better you can define your OVERALL ROOM ARRANGEMENT and enhance the energetic frequencies to be in your favor.
FENG SHUI PRINCIPLES TO CONSIDER:
- What is the FUNCTION of that room? Are you using it to create artwork, to write, to sleep or to cook?
- Decide on the best layout for the room to cultivate optimal physical and energetic movement throughout that space. In Feng Shui we refer to this as setting up a “commanding position.” The main pieces of furniture for the room establish a starting point to build out from with the rest of the arrangement (i.e. desk, bed, couch).
- Assess the harmony or disharmony of the FIVE ELEMENTS within the room and make adjustments accordingly. Each element (Fire, Earth, Metal, Water, Wood) corresponds with a personality trait and characteristic that enhances both your inner and environmental chi.
- To go a step further, you could even include EARTH ACUPUNCTURE. The earth is crisscrossed with meridians (lines of energy), and just like with the home environment and body, the flow of energy could become blocked or stagnated through the land directly. This is referred to as, geopathic stress. Using certain tools that are embedded into the land helps reestablish energetic harmony.
- Choose visual images or objects on DISPLAY to induce your best performance based on your personal intentions and function of the room.
- If your pursuits require additional self-development discovers and practices, be sure to induced that into you daily routine (e.g., meditation, inner child work, emotional intelligence, etc).
To some, this information may seem esoteric, yet science is stepping in to PROVE the benefits of these Ecological Feng Shui practices. The best way to know is to experience it for yourself.
You are a reflection of the space you occupy (e.g., home, work, land) and that space is a reflection of you. If you do not like what you see, make changes internally and externally.
Stulberg, Brad and Magness, Steven, “Peak Performance,” pg 132. New York: Rodale 2017. Print.
Laura Cerrano is a second-generation Certified New York City Feng Shui Consultant Expert. As a full-time Feng Shui consultant, Laura provides bicoastal consultations and workshops for residential, commercial, real estate developments, Fortune 500 companies and healing faculties. In addition, Laura is a resident teacher at the Metropolitan Institute of Design in Syosset, NY. She has been featured in highly respected publications and TV networks such as Bravo's "Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen," PBS, CBC Television, BBC Radio and The New York Times.